The 14-2-0 Hurricanes start the back half of their six-game road trip in San Jose Monday night, looking to make it a 4-0 start to the west-coast swing. Preview and NHL links roundup.
Do you know the way to San Jose?
The Canes west-coast trip swings up the California coast to San Jose Monday night, where Carolina will look to make it a perfect 4-0 start to the trip.
Last time out the Canes beat the Kings in a wild 5-4 game, and now they’ll face off against a Sharks team that has lost two in a row and four of their last five.
It is technically decision day for the Canes on Seth Jarvis, who is one NHL game away from reaching his threshold for having this year be the first year on his ELC. If Jarvis plays Monday night, the Hurricanes lose a year of team control, though it seems by accounts that that decision has already been made and Jarvis is with the Canes to stay.
Monday night will also a be a milestone night for Jordan Staal, who will be suiting up for the 600th time as a member of the Carolina Hurricanes.
- The Canes hold a very slight 21-20-0-1 edge over the San Jose Sharks in their all-time matchup.
- This will be the first game between the two teams in nearly two years, with the last coming on Dec. 5, 2019. That game was a shootout win for the Hurricanes.
- Derek Stepan has 15 points in 20 career games against the Sharks, while Jesper Fast has 10 points in 11 games.
- Jordan Staal, who is playing his 600th game for Carolina Monday, is also one assist away from tying Pat Verbeek for eighth-most assists in franchise history.
- Teuvo Teravainen’s next goal will be his 100th in the NHL, and Brady Skjei’s next assists will be his 100th in the NHL.
- Seth Jarvis is on a three-game goal streak, making him the just the fourth player since Canes’ relocation to accomplish that as a rookie. Shane Willis, Erik Cole and Brock McGinn are the others.
- New York Islanders are thrilled to have ended their season-opening 13-game road trip and are happy to have finally opened UBS Arena. [ESPN]
- USA Hockey’s Cammi Granato is blazing a new trail with the Seattle Kraken. [Sportsnet]
Calgary Flames become the first NHL team since offensive forward passes were allowed in 1929 to record 7 shutouts within the first 19 games of a season. pic.twitter.com/wmN82EMjFj
— Sportsnet Stats (@SNstats) November 22, 2021
- Tampa Bay Lightning forward, Brayden Point, is out indefinitely with an upper-body injury. [TSN]
- The Ottawa Senators return to practice after having three games postponed due to COVID-19. [NHL]
Ahead of Elizabeth Mantha’s second game today, get to know more about @TheAHL official ⬇️
— NHL (@NHL) November 21, 2021
- Gary Bettman to meet with Quebec Premier about Quebec City NHL team possibilities. [The Score]
— NHL (@NHL) November 22, 2021
- Evander Kane has been skating at the Sharks facility but away from the team. [The Mercury News]
- Nathan MacKinnon could return to the Colorado Avalanche on their upcoming road trip. [NHL]
- The USHL’s Omaha Lancers have an ongoing investigation. Multiple coaches have stepped down and players have threatened to boycott upcoming games. Now their president has stepped down. [$The Athletic]