CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – The Charlotte Football Club acquired midfielder Brandt Bronico from the Chicago Fire on Friday in exchange for a 2022 fourth-round pick. Charlotte also received Chicago’s fourth-round pick in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft.
Bronico spent four seasons in Chicago, playing 66 matches, including 40 starts, scoring two goals and eight assists. He is no stranger to Charlotte, playing collegiately for the Charlotte 49ers from 2013-16 and scoring 25 goals and dishing out 23 assists.
“Charlotte FC! Can’t express how excited I am to be joining you guys,” Bronico said in a video on Twitter. “Charlotte is a city that means so much to me. Where I played college soccer, where I met my future wife and North Carolina being a home state for me, I mean, it just means the world for me,” Bronico said in a video message on Twitter.
As a 49er, the High Point native was named the 2016 Conference USA Player of the Year and second-team All-America. He was drafted in the third round (47th overall) in the 2017 Superdraft.
In addition to being traded, the Charlotte FC Twitter page said Bronico was also getting married on Friday afternoon.
Bronico is the third player to be added to Charlotte’s roster, joining Sergio Ruiz and Riley McGree.
More headlines from Fox 46 Charlotte:
- ‘These guys are like family’: Candlelight vigil held for fallen Concord police officer
- Chick-fil-A accommodates autistic child’s unique request
- Death investigation underway in S.C.
- Recent data show every county in South Carolina at ‘high’ rate of COVID-19 activity in all 3 categories
- Virginia woman does 53 acts of kindness for 53rd birthday